It is my honor to welcome you to the new Ministry of Fisheries website.
The ministry appreciates your interest in visiting our website since we regard it as a medium for informing our valued audiences of our regulatory and service responsibility for the national fisheries management through the following functions:
- Formulating, aligning, reviewing and implementing policies, strategies, plans, programmes and projects;
- Providing and administering the regulatory functions under the respective ministry legislations and regulations;
- Monitoring and evaluating the current strategies, policies and deliverables;
- Developing and promoting effective training, communication and awareness and extension and advisory services;
- Strengthening community and industry networks and supporting infrastructure;
- Maintaining international bilateral and multilateral commitments; and
- Undertaking applied research for sustainable fisheries resource management practice and product development.
Through this website, we aim to share fisheries information and strengthen our service delivery all our valued stakeholders.
|The Giant Clam Project on the Island of Makogai|
The giant clam project on the island of Makogai has been steadily increasing with the huge demand from resorts around the country.
The ministry is responsible for the spawning and breeding of the clams before they are then distributed to hotels and resorts for their respective eco-tourism programs.
Giant clams play a huge role in the marine eco-system as it is a filter feeder and keeps the water clean. Giant clams have been over-fished and over harvested over the years and the ministry is trying its best to revive this species in our oceans.